Saturday, October 22, 2016
Bring Your Horse to Train With the Scottsdale Police Mounted Unit’s Officers!
The event will be held in the covered arena at Camelot’s ranch at 6250 E. Jomax Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85266.
Bring your horse to Camelot and get a taste of what it’s like to train a police horse. Participate in sensory training with objects such as pool noodles, balls, tarps, and streamers. Begin training to desensitize your horse to crowds, loud noises, smoke, and more! This will be an exciting day and a great training experience for you and your horse.
This clinic will offer two identical 3-hour sessions, from 8 AM to 11 AM and from 1 PM to 4 PM. The entry fee is $110 per session. Each session will be limited to 18 horse/rider pairs, to ensure that all participants get sufficient exposure to the exercises and to maintain a safe environment for everyone. Auditors are welcome for a $25 donation.
To ensure the safety of all participants, the following rules will apply:
- All riders must wear an approved safety helmet while mounted.
- Horses must be ridden at a walk only. If your horse needs to blow off some steam, we have a round pen adjacent to the covered arena, and a dressage arena that is available for longeing.
- All riders must complete and sign a waiver of liability (310KB PDF) before starting the clinic. If possible, please mail your waiver in so that it will arrive before the day of the clinic (mailing address is on the waiver).
- Due to limited space, trailer parking will be in assigned spots only. When you arrive at the clinic, someone will show you where to park.
- Morning session participants—please plan to leave no later than 11:45 AM.
- Afternoon session participants—please plan to arrive no earlier than 12:15 PM.
- All riders must report to the arena without their horses for an initial briefing.
- Morning session participants—please report to the arena promptly at 7:55 AM.
- Afternoon session participants—please report to the arena promptly at 12:55 PM.
- If you can get someone else to fill your slot, there’s no cost, but we need to know in advance to make sure that our records are accurate.
- If you cancel more than 7 days before the event, you can get your money back minus a $10 processing fee to help cover our costs.
- If you cancel within 7 days of the event, but at least 48 hours prior, you can get your money back minus the $10 processing fee if we have a waiting list and can fill your slot from the waiting list. If we can’t fill your slot, we can’t offer a refund, but you can have a slot in our next clinic.
- If you simply don’t show up the day of the event, there will be no refund or credit.
- If Camelot has to reschedule the event and you are unable to attend, we will issue a full refund (but see below).
- You can, if you choose, simply count your registration fee as a tax-deductible donation to Camelot.
You will be able to pay using PayPal or your credit card. (Note: If you try to add multiple items to your shopping cart, you may need to refresh this page after you return to it from the PayPal site. The items already in your cart should still be there when you go back to PayPal.)
For a preview of what you might encounter during the clinic, please view some photos from the November 2011 clinic (AM Session, PM Session I, PM Session II, PM Session III) and the May 2013 clinic (AM Session, PM Session).
You might also enjoy this blog post, The Horse Police and the Tunnel of Doom, by Whiskey Ranch-Horse, a participant in two previous clinics.
This fundraiser is presented by the Scottsdale Police Mounted Unit to benefit Camelot.